Place:


Dalton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dalton like this:

DALTON, a township in Kirk-Heaton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on a branch of the river Calder, 2 miles NE of Huddersfield. It includes the hamlets of Dalton-Fold, Dalton-Green, Bradley-Mills, and Mould-Green; and carries on a manufacture of fancy goods. Acres, 1, 255. Real property, £12, 592. Pop., 4, 692. Houses, 980. There are a chapel of ease and a Swedenborgian chapel.

Dalton through time

Dalton is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dalton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalton, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12262

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dalton".