Place:


Llangian  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangian like this:

LLANGIAN, a parish in Pwllheli district, Carnarvon; at the S extremity of the Lleyn peninsula, between St. Tudwall's road and Hell's mouth bay, 6¼ miles SW of Pwllheli, and 23 SW of Nantlle r. station. Post town, Llanengan, under Pwllheli. Acresz, 4,835; of which 330 are water. Real property, £3,464. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,l61; in 1861,1,088. Houses, 251. The property is not much divided. Nanhoron is a chief residence. The inhabitants are largely employed in fishing. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanbedrog, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Cian, and is good. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

Llangian through time

Llangian is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangian itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangian, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12246

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangian ".