Place:


Elsham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elsham like this:

ELSHAM, or Ailesham, a parish, with a railway station, in Glanford - Brigg district, Lincoln; on the Wolds, 4½ miles NE of Glanford-Brigg. Post - town, Barnetby, under Ulceby. Acres, 4, 110. Real property, £5, 654. Pop., 409. Houses, 87. The property is all in one estate. Elsham Hall belonged formerly to the Thompsons, and is now the seat of T. ...


G. Corbett, Esq. An Angustinian priory was founded at Elsham, in the 12th century, by Beatrice de Amundeville. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £46. Patron, T. G. Corbett, Esq. The church is tolerable; and there is a -Wesleyan chapel.

Elsham through time

Elsham is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elsham in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12192

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elsham ".