Place:


Wroughton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wroughton like this:

WROUGHTON, a parish, with four tythings, in Highworth district, Wilts; 3¼ miles SSW of Swindon r. station. It has a post-office under Swindon. Acres, 4,546. Rated property, £11,202. Pop., 1,721. Houses, 373. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester and W. W. Codrington, Esq. ...


W. House and Salthrop Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £160.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is of the 11th century and good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £26.

Wroughton through time

Wroughton is now part of Swindon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swindon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wroughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wroughton, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12184

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wroughton ".