Place:


Worton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Worton like this:

WORTON, a tything and a chapelry in Potterne parish, Wilts. The tything lies 3 miles SSW of Devizes r. station, and has a post-office under Devizes. Real property, £3,311. Pop., 401. Houses, 82. The chapelry includes Marston tything, and was constituted in 1851. Pop., 591. Houses, 123. The property is much subdivided The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £137. Patron, the Vicar of Potterne. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Worton through time

Worton is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Worton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Worton, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12179

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Worton ".