Place:


Clifton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton like this:

CLIFTON, a township in St. Olave-Mary-Gate parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ouse and the York and Newcastle railway, 1¼ mile NW of York. Real property, £9, 081. Pop., 2, 659. Houses, 407. The York work-house and the pauper lunatic asylum for the east and north ridings, are here. -A chapelry of Clifton was constituted in 1867. Pop., 1, 700. The living is a p. curacy. Value, £150. Patrons, Trustees.

Clifton through time

Clifton is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton, in York and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12142

Date accessed: 18th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clifton".