Place:


Wanborough  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wanborough like this:

WANBOROUGH, a parish, with a village, in Highworth district, Wilts; 4½ miles SE by E of Swindon r. station. It has a post-office under Shrivenham, Berkshire. Acres, 4,440. Real property, £8,868. Pop., 960. Houses, 198. The manor belonged anciently to the St. Amauds, and passed to the Lovells and others. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £375.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is old; and has a tower at one end, and a spire at the other. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £12.

Wanborough through time

Wanborough is now part of Swindon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swindon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wanborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wanborough, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12131

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wanborough ".