Place:


Rollestone  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rollestone like this:

ROLLSTONE, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on Salisbury plain, 5½ miles W by N of Amesbury, and 6¼ N E of Wiley r. station. Post-town, Shrewton, under Devizes. Acres, 836. Real property, with Shrewton and Maddington, £7, 295. Pop. of R. alone, 52. Houses, 10. The manor belongs to W. A. Heathcote, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £150. Patron, the Lord Chancellor The church is ancient, and was recently restored.

Rollestone through time

Rollestone is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rollestone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rollestone, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12076

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rollestone".