Place:


Rodbourne Cheney  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rodbourne Cheney like this:

RODBORNE-CHENEY, a parish in Highworth district, Wilts; on the North Wilts canal, and adjacent to the Swindon and Gloucester and the Great Western railways, 2½ miles N N W of Swindon. It includes thetythings of Even-Swindon, Haydon, Haydon-Wick, and Moredon; and its post town is Swindon. ...


Acres, 2, 728. Real property, £5,045. Pop., 670. Houses, 132. The property is much subdivided. Limestone is largelyquarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £110.* Patron, the Rev. R. Haking. The church is ancient, and was restored and enlarged in 1848. There are an Independentchapel, and an endowed school with £43 a year.

Rodbourne Cheney through time

Rodbourne Cheney is now part of Swindon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swindon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rodbourne Cheney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rodbourne Cheney, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12073

Date accessed: 28th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rodbourne Cheney ".