Place:


Letchworth  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Letchworth like this:

LETCHWORTH, a parish in Hitchin district, Herts; adjacent to the Hitchin and Royston railway, and near Icknield-street, 2 miles ENE of Hitchin r. station. Post town, Hitchin. Acres, 1,027. Real property, £1,376. Pop., 68. Houses, 13. All the property, with Letchworth House, belongs to the Rev. ...


Charles-Alington. An ancient camp, 7 acres in area, with steep sides, and with a rampart 5 feet high, is on the Wilbury hills; and a tumulus is ½ a mile S of it. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £240.* Patron, the Rev. J. Alington. The church is ancient and good.

Letchworth through time

Letchworth is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Letchworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Letchworth in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1205

Date accessed: 30th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Letchworth ".