Place:


Covenham St Bartholomew  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Covenham St Bartholomew like this:

COVENHAM-ST. BARTHOLOMEW, a parish in Louth district, Lincoln; adjacent to the Boston and Grimsby railway and to the Louth navigation, 1½ mile ESE of Ludborough r. station, and 5 NNE of Louth. It has a post office, of the name of Covenham, under Louth. Acres, 1, 340. Real property, £2, 441. ...


Pop., 298. Houses, 66. A small Benedictine priory was founded here in 1082, by Bishop Carileph. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £287. Patrons, the Rev.D. Holland and the heirs of S. Harrold, Esq. The church is early English; was the minster of the Benedictine priory, -cruciform, without aisles, but with a central tower; has lost the north transept; and contains a curiously sculptured octagonal font. There are three Methodist chapels, -Wesleyan, Primitive, and Free. Charities, £16.

Covenham St Bartholomew through time

Covenham St Bartholomew is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Covenham St Bartholomew itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Covenham St Bartholomew, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12003

Date accessed: 29th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Covenham St Bartholomew ".