Place:


Clapham  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clapham like this:

CLAPHAM, a township and a parish in Settle district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Skipton and Lancaster railway, near Ingleborough mountain, 5¾ miles NW of Settle; bears the name of Clapham-cum-Newby; includes the hamlet of Clapdale; and has a station, of the name of Clapham, on the railway, a post office of the same name under Lancaster, and fairs on 21 Sept. ...


and 2 Oct. Acres, 14, 720. Real property, £5, 728. Pop., 809. Houses, 160. The parish contains also the townships of Austwick and Lawkland. Acres, 24, 340. Real property, £15, 046. Pop., 1, 708. Houses, 352. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Austwick, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is a neat modern structure, with embattled tower. A school has £31 from endowment; and other charities, £159.

Clapham through time

Clapham is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clapham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clapham, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12002

Date accessed: 21st January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clapham ".