Place:


Cawthorne  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cawthorne like this:

CAWTHORNE, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Wortley district, W. R. Yorkshire. The Village stands 2 miles NNW of Silkstone r. station, and 4½ WNW of Barnesley; and has a post office under Barnesley. The parish includes also Barnby-Basin hamlet, at the end of Barnesley canal, and the hamlets of BarnbyFurnace, Deacon-Brook, and Norcroft. ...


Acres, 3,440. Real property, £5,684. Pop., 1,283. Houses, 271. The property is divided among six. Coal, limestone, and ironstone are worked. The living is a p. curacy, under the vicarage of Silkstone, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £119. Patron, J. S. Stanhope, Esq. The church is old but fair; and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a slightly endowed school.-The subdistrict contains also parts of two other parishes. Acres, 8,396. Pop., 4,825. Houses, 973.

Cawthorne through time

Cawthorne is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cawthorne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cawthorne, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11997

Date accessed: 19th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cawthorne".