Place:


South Marston  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Marston like this:

MARSTON (SOUTH), a chapelry in Highworth parish, Wilts; adjacent to the Great Western railway and to the river Cole at the boundary with Berks, 2¾ miles W of Shrivenham r. station, and 3¼ S by W of Highworth. Post town, Highworth, under Swindon. Real property, with Stanton-Fitzwarren and Sevenhampton, £11,536. ...


Rated property of S. M. alone, £3,827. Pop., 370. Houses, 85. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £175. Patron, the Vicar of Highworth. The church is ancient and tolerable. There is a snbscription school.

South Marston through time

South Marston is now part of Swindon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swindon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Marston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Marston, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11969

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Marston".