Place:


Carlton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton like this:

CARLETON, or Carlton, a township-chapelry in Snaith parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the river Aire and the Goole railway, 2 miles N of Snaith. It has a post office under Selby. Acres, 3,070. Real property, £7,479. Pop., 752. Houses, 183. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £168.* Patron, the Rev. W. W. Ware. The church was built in 1863. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £25.

Carlton through time

Carlton is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11949

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton ".