Place:


Carlton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton like this:

CARLTON, a parish in Stokesley district, N. R. Yorkshire; on an affluent of the river Tees, adjacent to the Northallerton and Stokesley railway, 3¾ miles SW of Stokesley. It has a post office under Northallerton. Acres, 830. Real property, £1,808. Pop., 243. Houses, 66. The property is divided among a few. There formerly were extensive alum-works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £56.* Patron,Reeve, Esq. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £24.

Carlton through time

Carlton is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11943

Date accessed: 19th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton ".