Place:


Sidcup  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sidcup like this:

SIDCUP, a village and a chapelry in Chislehurst parish, Kent. The village stands adjacent to the Lee and Dartford loop-line of the North Kent railway, 2¾ miles SE of Eltham; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a station on the railway, and a R. police station. The chapelry was constituted in 1844; and its Post town is Foots-Cray, under London SE. ...


Rated property, £1,743. Pop., 976. Houses, 187. S. Lodge, S. House, and Pound Place, are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £200.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church was built in 1844. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and handsome endowed residences for six unmarried ladies.

Sidcup through time

Sidcup is now part of Bexley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bexley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sidcup itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sidcup, in Bexley and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1191

Date accessed: 22nd October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sidcup ".