Place:


Luckington  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Luckington like this:

LUCKINGTON, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands near the boundary with Gloucestershire, 7 miles WSW of Malmsbury, and 10 NW of Chippenham r. station; and has a post office, under Chippenham. The parish comprises 1,625 acres. Real property, £3,101; of which £10 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 316. Houses, 78. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to King Harold, and passed to the Seymours. There are barrows and a cromlech. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £382.,* Patron, the Rev. J. F. Goggin. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was, still recently, in bad condition. Charities, £16.

Luckington through time

Luckington is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Luckington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Luckington in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11907

Date accessed: 16th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Luckington ".