Place:


Burnsall  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burnsall like this:

BURNSALL, a township and a parish in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township bears the name of Burnsall-with-Thorpe-sub-Montem; lies on the river Wharfe, 10 miles W by S of Pateley-Bridge, and 10 NE of Skipton r. station; and is near Linton and Grassington, which have post offices under Skipton. ...


Acres, 2,968. Real property, £1,979. Pop., 200. Houses, 40. The parish includes also the townships of Coniston-with-Kilnsay, Hetton-with-Boardley, Appletreewick, Hartlington, Rilston, and Cracoe; the two last of which have post offices under Skipton. Acres, 31,331. Real property, £16,337. Pop., 1,275. Houses, 258. The property is subdivided. A number of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and woollen manufactures. The living is a rectory of two portions, united with the p. curacies of Rilston and Coniston, in the diocese of Ripon. Value of the first portion, £315; of the second, £276. Patron of the first portion, the Rev. J. Graham; of the second, Earl Craven. The church was rebuilt in 1858. The chapels of Rilston and Coniston are good; and a chapel at Skyreholme was built in 1837. There is an endowed grammar school with £42 a year.

Burnsall through time

Burnsall is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burnsall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burnsall, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11869

Date accessed: 26th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burnsall".