Landford  Wiltshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Landford like this:

LANDFORD, a village and a parish in Alderbury district, Wilts. The village stands on a branch of the river Test, 2¼ miles from the boundary with Hants, 6 SE by S of Dean r. station, and 10 SE by E of Salisbury; and has a post-office under Salisbury. The parish comprises 1,689 acres. Real property, with Plaitford, £2,935. ...

Rated property of L. alone, £1,561. Pop., 278. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Lyghs; passed to the Davenants and the Eyres; and is now held by the Dowager Countess Nelson. Landford Lodge was the seat of the Greatheeds, and is now the property of J. R. Wigram, Esq. Iron ore exists, but has not been worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £280.* Patron, Earl Nelson. The church was rebuilt in 1858.

Landford through time

Landford is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Landford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Landford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Landford".