Place:


Bugthorpe  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bugthorpe like this:

BUGTHORPE, or Buckthorpe, a parish in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire; on an affluent of the river Derwent, 4½ miles ESE of Gate-Helmsley r. station, and 6 N by W of Pocklington. Post Town, Skirpenbeck, under York. Acres, 1,990. Real property, £2,381. Pop., 245. Houses, 53. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £200. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was repaired in 1859.

Bugthorpe through time

Bugthorpe is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bugthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bugthorpe, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11822

Date accessed: 01st December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bugthorpe ".