Place:


Broughton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broughton like this:

BROUGHTON-IN-AIREDALE, a village, a township, and a parish in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the river Aire, the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and the North Midland railway, in the vicinity of Elslack r. station, and 4 miles WSW of Skipton: and has a post office, of the name of Broughton, under Skipton. ...


It is thought to occupy a Roman station; and it was plundered by the Pretender's forces in the middle of last century. The township includes the village; and comprises 2,109 acres. Pop., 162. Houses, 36. The parish includes also the hamlet of Elslack. Acres, 3,871. Real property, £5,291. Pop., 274. Houses, 60. The property is divided between two. Broughton Hall is the seat of the Tempest family. The parish is noted for a fine breed of cattle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £190. Patron, Christ-Church College, Oxford. The church has a Norman doorway; contains monuments of the Tempests; and is good.

Broughton through time

Broughton is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11800

Date accessed: 24th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broughton".