Place:


Dilton Marsh  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dilton Marsh like this:

DILTON-MARSH, a chapelry in Westbury parish, Wilts; on the Westbury and Yeovil railway, adjacent to the boundary with Somerset, 2½ miles WSW of Westbury. It was constituted in 1845; is partly identical with Dilton chapelry; and has a post office under Westbury. Rated property, £5, 271. Pop., 1, 561. Houses, 380. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is recent; and there are charities £93.

Dilton Marsh through time

Dilton Marsh is now part of West Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dilton Marsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dilton Marsh in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11719

Date accessed: 30th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dilton Marsh".