Place:


Brafferton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brafferton like this:

BRAFFERTON, a village and a township in Easingwold district, and a parish in Easingwold and Ripon districts, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Swale, adjacent to the Boroughbridge and Pilmoor railway, 3½ miles NE of Boroughbridge; and it has a station on the railway, and is contiguous to Helperby village, which has a post office under York. ...


The township comprises 1,920 acres. Real property, £1,600. Pop., 199. Houses, 42. The parish includes also the townships of Helperby and Thornton-Bridge. Acres, 4,898. Real property, £7,362. Pop., 904. Houses, 214. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £307.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are charities £27.

Brafferton through time

Brafferton is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brafferton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brafferton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11656

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brafferton".