Place:


Bilsdale  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bilsdale like this:

BILSDALE, a mountain-vale, a township, a hamlet, two constablewicks, and a chapelry in Helmsley district, N. R. Yorkshire. The vale begins about 5 miles SE by S of Stokesley; and extends 11 miles southward to Rivaulx, 3½ miles NW of Helmsley. Its head is overhung by Whinston and Botton-Head, mountains 2,300 and 1,485 feet high; and its sides are flanked by other heights, and cut by lateral vales. ...


The view at its head is very magnificent; and the scenery in some other parts of it is grand.-The township is called Bilsdale-Midcable; the hamlet, Bilsdale-Kirkham; the constablewicks, Bilsdale-East-side and Bilsdale-High-Westside; and all are in the vale or on its sides.—The chapelry also is called Bilsdale-Midcable; and it includes all the Bilsdales, and likewise the hamlets of Crossett, Chapelgate, Chapelgate and Urra, and the constablewick of Raisdale: and is in the parish of Helmsley. The nearest railway station to it is Stokesley; and the nearest Post Towns, Stokesley, under Northallerton, and Helmsley, under York. Acres, 18,971. Real property, £4,018. Pop., 738. Houses, 126. The property is not much divided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £130. Patron, the Vicar of Helmsley. The church is good; and there is a Quakers' chapel.

Bilsdale through time

Bilsdale is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bilsdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bilsdale, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11588

Date accessed: 19th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bilsdale ".