Place:


Hayton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hayton like this:

HAYTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Derwent, 1 mile WSW of Burnby r. station, and 2½ SE by S of Pocklington; is a pleasant place; and has a post-office under York.—The township comprises 1,846 acres. ...


Real property, £3,056. Pop., 210. Houses, 40.—The parish contains also the township of Bielby, and comprises 3,066 acres. Real property, £5,000. Pop., 478. Houses, 90. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. H. Rudstone Read, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Bielby, in the diocese of York. Value, £375.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is partly Norman; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with battlemented and pinnacled tower; and was restored in 1860. Charities, £29.

Hayton through time

Hayton is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hayton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11578

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hayton ".