Place:


Benington  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Benington like this:

BENNINGTON, a parish and a subdistrict in Boston district, Lincoln. The parish lies on the Wash, 3 miles SSE of Sibsey r. station, and 5 ENE of Boston. It includes an allotment in the East Fen; and has a post office under Boston. Acres, 7,495; of which 4,405 are water. Real property, £7,025. ...


Pop., 588. Houses, 138. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £805.* Patron, the Earl of Ripon. The church has a perpendicular clerestoried nave, a fine tower, and a sculptured octagonal font. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £90 a year, five alms-houses, and some other charities.-The subdistrict comprises four parishes, parts of three others, and the East Fen allotment of Boston. Acres, 50,285. Pop., 6,572. Houses, 1,340.

Benington through time

Benington is now part of Boston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Boston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Benington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Benington, in Boston and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11562

Date accessed: 18th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Benington".