Place:


Barlings  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barlings like this:

BARLINGS, a parish in the district and county of Lincoln; 2½ miles SE of Reepham r. station, and 7 ENE its Post Town is Nettleham under Lincoln. Acres, 2,630. Real property, £3,117. Pop., 475. Houses, 96. The property is subdivided. A Premonstratensian abbey was founded, in 1154, at Barling-Grange; and afterwards refounded at Oxeney; and was given, at the dissolution, to Charles, Duke of Suffolk. ...


The last abbot of it, Dr. Mackerel, was executed at Tyburn, in 1537, for heading the Lincoln insurrection against the Crown. Only a few mutilated pillars of the edifice now remain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value,£55. Patrons, T. T. Drake andTurner, Esqs. The church is tolerable.

Barlings through time

Barlings is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barlings itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barlings, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11505

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barlings ".