Place:


Woolaston  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woolaston like this:

WOLLASTONE, or Woollaston, a parish, with a scattered village, in the district of Chepstow and county of Gloucester; on the river Severn, and on the Gloucester and South Wales railway, 5 miles NE of Chepstow. It has a post-office under Lydney, and a r. station; and is a seat of petty sessions. ...


Acres, 5,416; of which 1,040 are water. Real property, £5,992. Pop. in 1851, 1,110; in 1861, 971. Houses, 229. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a rectory, united with Alvington and Lancant, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £640.* Patron, the Duke of Beanfort. The church is Norman, and was restored in 1859. There are a national school and charities £8.

Woolaston through time

Woolaston is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woolaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woolaston, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11476

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woolaston ".