Place:


Appleby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Appleby like this:

APPLEBY, a parish in Glanford-Brigg district, Lincoln; near the Doncaster and Grimsby railway, 7 miles NNW of Brigg. It includes Raventhorpe hamlet: and has a post office under Brigg, and a r. station. Acres, 6,164.-Real property, £6,192. Pop., 579. Houses, 101. The property is divided between two. Appleby House is the seat ofWinn, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £150. Patron, Winn, Esq. The church is a neat structure, with a tower.

Appleby through time

Appleby is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Appleby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appleby in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11407

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Appleby ".