Place:


Althorpe  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Althorpe like this:

ALTHORPE, a township and a parish in the district of Thorne and county of Lincoln. The township lies on the river Trent, and on the Doncaster, Barnetby, and Grimsby railway, 4½ miles SE of Crowle; enjoys advan tages of the Trent navigation; includes the hamlet of Dorrythorpe; and has a post office under Bawtry, and a r. ...


station. Real property, £3,098. Pop., 391. Houses, 88. The parish includes also the townships of Keadby and Amcotts. Acres, 5,460. Rated property, £10,346. Pop., 1,316. Houses, 243. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £400.* Patron, the Crown. The church is of the time of Edward IV. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school.

Althorpe through time

Althorpe is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Althorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Althorpe in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11397

Date accessed: 26th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Althorpe ".