Place:


Tortworth  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tortworth like this:

TORTWORTH, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; 2 miles NNW of Charfield r. station, and 3½ W of Wotton-under-Edge. It has a post-office under Wotton-under-Edge. Acres, 1,551. Real property, £3,037. Pop., 235. Houses, 38. The manor, with T. Court, belongs to Earl Ducie. A Roman camp is in the park; and Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £428.* Patron, Earl Ducie The church was repaired and decorated in 1852. There are a British school, and charities £16.

Tortworth through time

Tortworth is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tortworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tortworth in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11395

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tortworth ".