Place:


Allington  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allington like this:

ALLINGTON (East and West), two parishes in the district of Newark and county of Lincoln; 2¼ miles N of Sedgebrook r. station, and 4 NW of Grantham. They have a post office, of the name of Allington, under Grantham. Acres in both, 2,070. Real property, £3,535. Pop. of E. A., 275. Houses, 64. ...


Pop. of W. A., 135. Houses, 27. The property is not much divided. Allington House is an edifice in the Tudor style. The livings are in the diocese of Lincoln; and that of E. A. is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Sedgebrook; while that of W. A. is a rectory, of the value of £262, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The church is very good; and there are charities £17.

Allington through time

Allington is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Allington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allington, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11394

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Allington ".