Place:


Wymeswold  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wymeswold like this:

WIMESWOLD, or Wymeswold, a parish, with a village, in Loughborough district, Leicester; 4½ miles NE by E of Loughborough r. station. It has a post-office under Loughborough. Acres, 4,220. Real property, £6,435. Pop., 1,209. Houses, 287. The property is much subdivided. The making of hose and lace is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £199.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church was restored in 1850, at a cost of nearly £3,000. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities nearly £200.

Wymeswold through time

Wymeswold is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wymeswold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wymeswold, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11386

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wymeswold ".