Place:


Woodhouse  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodhouse like this:

WOODHOUSE, a township and a chapelry in Barrow-upon-Soar parish Leicester. The township lies 3¾ miles S of Loughborough r. s ion, and contains a village of its own name. Post town, Loughborough. Acres, 2,770. Real property, £5,402. Pop., 1,205. Houses, 283. The manor belongs to W. ...


P. Herrick, Esq. The chapelry is less extensive than the township. Pop., 1,163. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £140. Patron, the Vicar of Barrow-upon-Soar. The church was built in 1338, and restored in 1858. There are an endowed school with £239 a year, and charities £10. See Woodhouse-Eaves.

Woodhouse through time

Woodhouse is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodhouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodhouse, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11380

Date accessed: 25th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodhouse ".