Place:


Witherley  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witherley like this:

WITHERLEY, a parish, with W. village and Atterton hamlet, in the district of Atherstone and county of Leicester; 1 mile E of Atherstone r. station. Post town, Atherstone. Acres, 1,570. Real property, £4,020. Pop., 528. Houses, 128. W. house is the seat of Mrs. Thompson. The stables and kennels of the Atherstone hunt adjoin the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500.* Patron, the Rev. J.Roberts. The church is old, and has a very fine spire.

Witherley through time

Witherley is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witherley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witherley, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11377

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witherley ".