Place:


Whetstone  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whetstone like this:

WHETSTONE, a parish, with a village, in Blaby district, Leicestershire; 2½ miles NW of Countesthorpe r. station, and 5½ SSW of Leicester. It has a post-office under Leicester. Acres, 1,680. Real property, £5,143. Pop., 1,077. Houses, 242. The manor belongs to the Earl of Stamford. Framework knitting is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £150.* Patron,Brook, Esq. The church is old but good, and has a fine spire. There are a handsome Independent chapel of 1863, a Baptist chapel, and a parochial school.

Whetstone through time

Whetstone is now part of Blaby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whetstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whetstone, in Blaby and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11370

Date accessed: 19th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whetstone ".