Place:


Swithland  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swithland like this:

SWITHLAND, a parish, with a village, in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester; 2½ miles SW of Mount-sorrel, and 4 WSW of Sileby r. station. It has a post-office under Loughborough. Acres, 2,180. Real property, £2,018; of which £37 are in blue-slate quarries. Pop., 255. Houses, 53. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to the Earl of Lanesborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Swithland through time

Swithland is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swithland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swithland, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11316

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swithland ".