Place:


Swepstone  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swepstone like this:

SWEPSTONE, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Ashby-de-la-Zouch district, Leicester; 4 miles S by E of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. It has a post-office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acres, 2,287. Real property, £4,475. Pop., 566. houses, 137. The manor belongs to J. Gurdon, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with Snareston, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £1,050.* Patron, the Rev. W.Hodgson. The church is ancient, and has a tower of 1842. There are Independent, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £95.

Swepstone through time

Swepstone is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swepstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swepstone in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11312

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swepstone ".