Place:


Old Sodbury  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Sodbury like this:

SODBURY (Old), a parish, with a village, in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; 3¾ miles E by S of Yate r. station. It has a post-office under Chipping-Sodbury, and a hotel. Acres, 3,637. Real property, £7,294. Pop., 809. Houses, 180. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Lye Grove House, belongs to W. ...


H. H. Hartley, Esq. There is a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £460.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1858. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.

Old Sodbury through time

Old Sodbury is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Sodbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Sodbury in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11298

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Old Sodbury ".