Place:


Slimbridge  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slimbridge like this:

SLIMBRIDGE, a village and a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands near the Gloucester and Berkeley canal, 1½ mile NW of Dursley-Junction r. station, and 4 NNW of Dursley; and has a post-office under Stonehouse. The parish contains also five hamlets; and comprises 3,660 acres of land, and 770 of water. ...


Real property, £10,125; of which £512 are in the canal. Pop., 789. Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £600.* Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1846, and has a fine spire.

Slimbridge through time

Slimbridge is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Slimbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slimbridge, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11286

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Slimbridge ".