Pont Y Pridd  Glamorgan


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pont Y Pridd like this:

PONTYPRIDD, a small town in Lantwit-Vairdre and Llanwonno parishes, Glamorgan; on the river Taff. and on the Taff Vale railway, at the junction of the Rhondabranch to Treherbet, 13 miles N W by N of Cardiff. Itsname signifies "the bridge of the earthen hut, " and alludes to a mud house which stood on its site, and to afamous bridge constructed over the Taff, in 1755 and previous years, by the self-taught architect William Edwards, whose biography is narrated in the " Pursuit of Knowledge." The bridge stands on a site where the riveris broad and the banks are low; exhibits ingenuity ofcontrivance to overcome the disadvantageousness of the site; and is of one arch, 140 feet in span, 35 feet high, and 15 feet broad. ...

The town has a head post-office, ‡ a railway-station with telegraph, two good inns, and a church in the Norman style, erected in 1838; and it carries on much trade in connexion with neighbouring iron-works and collieries. A poor-law district of Pontypriddwas formed in 1863, out of the district of Merthyr-Tydvil.

Pont Y Pridd through time

Pont Y Pridd is now part of Rhondda; Cynon; Taff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rhondda; Cynon; Taff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pont Y Pridd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pont Y Pridd, in Rhondda; Cynon; Taff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th September 2020

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pont Y Pridd ".