Place:


Austwick  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Austwick like this:

AUSTWICK, a township-chapelry in Clapham parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near Ingleborough hill, 2 miles NE of Clapham r. station, and 4½ NW of Settle. Post Town, Clapham, under Lancaster. Acres, 5,400. Real property, £5,224. Pop., 561. Houses, 128. Austwick Hall is the seat of T. R. Clapham, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Clapham, in the diocese of Ripon. The church is modern. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £27.

Austwick through time

Austwick is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Austwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Austwick, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11246

Date accessed: 01st July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Austwick ".