Place:


Newtown Linford  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newtown Linford like this:

NEWTOWN-LINFORD, a village and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicestershire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Soar, near Charnwood forest, 3 miles N by E of Kirby-Muxloe r. station, and 5½ N W of Leicester; and has a postal-pillar under Leicester, and a good inn. The parish comprises 3, 990 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 572. Pop., 500. Houses, 102. The manor belongs to the Earl of Stamford. Roecliffe Hall is the residence of Sir F. W. Heygate, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £100. Patron, the Earl of Stamford. The church is an old building, with a tower; and was restored in 1860. Charities, £10.

Newtown Linford through time

Newtown Linford is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newtown Linford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newtown Linford, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11186

Date accessed: 15th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newtown Linford".