Place:


Sapperton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sapperton like this:

SAPPERTON, a parish, with a village and twotythings, in Cirencester district, Gloucester; 4 miles N W of Tetbury-road r. station, and 5 W by N of Cirencester. It has a post-office under Cirencester. Acres, 3, 908. Real property, £3, 927. Pop., 600. Houses, 125. The manor belongs to Earl Bathurst. ...


A tunnel of the Thames and Severn canal, 23/8. miles long, is here. Vestiges of anancient camp exist; and many Roman coins were foundin 1759. A saw-mill is at Daneway. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £367.* Patron, Earl Bathurst. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good; and has a tower and spire. Achapel of ease is at Frampton; and there are a national school, and charities £64.

Sapperton through time

Sapperton is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sapperton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sapperton, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11170

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sapperton ".