Place:


Great Rissington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Rissington like this:

RISSINGTON (Great), a parish, with a village, in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; between the river Windrush and the boundary with Gloucester, 3¼ miles S S E of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station, and 5 N W of Burford. Post-town, Burford, under Faringdon. Acres, 2, 420. Real property, £3, 896. ...


Pop., 499. Houses, 112. The manor belongs to Lord Dynevor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £800.* Patron, Lord Dynevor. The church isvariously Norman, early English, decorated, and perpendicular. There are a slightly endowed national school, and charities £12.

Great Rissington through time

Great Rissington is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Rissington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Rissington, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11129

Date accessed: 13th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Rissington ".