Place:


Aldbrough  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldbrough like this:

ALDBROUGH, or Aldburgh, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Skirlaugh, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the coast, 8 miles NNE of Hedon r. station, and 13½ E of Beverley; has a post office‡ under Hull; and includes the hamlets of Bewick, Carlton-with-Fosham, Etherdwick, and Fanstern. ...


A fair is held on 4 Sep. Acres, 4,911. Real property, £6,020. Pop., 831. Houses. 191.—The parish includes also the townships of East Newton and West Newton. Acres, 6,319. Real property, £10,147. Pop., 1,095. Houses, 228. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £476. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient and tolerable, and has a curious Danish monumental stone. The p. curacy of Colden-Parva is a separate benefice. Towrie's charity, founded in 1653, has an income of £200, and includes almshouses and school. There is a Wesleyan chapel.-The subdistrict comprises two entire parishes and part of a third. Acres, 10,669. Pop., 1,735. Houses, 373.

Aldbrough through time

Aldbrough is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldbrough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldbrough, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11114

Date accessed: 16th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldbrough ".