Place:


Preston on Stour  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston on Stour like this:

PRESTON-ON-STOUR, a parish, with a village, in the district of Stratford-on-Avon and county of Gloucester; on the river Stour, at the boundary with Warwick, 2½ miles E S E of Milcote r. station, and 3½ S of Stratford-on-Avon. Post-town, Stratford-on-Avon. Acres, 1, 990. Real property, £2, 434. ...


Pop., 376. Houses, 80. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Alscot Park, belongs to J. R. West, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £55. Patron, J. R. West, Esq The church is good, and has a tower. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Preston on Stour through time

Preston on Stour is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston on Stour itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston on Stour, in Stratford on Avon and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11105

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston on Stour ".