Place:


Wrightington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wrightington like this:

WRIGHTINGTON, a township-chapelry in Eccleston parish, Lancashire; at Appleby-Bridge r. station, and 4 miles NW of Wigan. It has a post-office under Wigan. Acres, 3,876. Real property, £7,423; of which £41 are in quarries. Pop., 1,618. Houses, 305. W. Hall is the seat of T. Dicconson, Esq.; and Harrock Hall, of Mrs. Bolton. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £128. Patron, the Rector of Eccleston. The church was built in 1857. There are Independent, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels.

Wrightington through time

Wrightington is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wrightington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wrightington in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11060

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wrightington ".