Place:


Owlpen  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Owlpen like this:

OWLPEN, or Old pen, a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 2¾ miles E of Dursley r. station. Post-town, Dursley. Acres, 720. Real pro-.perty, £1,034. Pop., 91. Houses, 24. The property belonged anciently to the Earls of Berkeley; was given, by one of them, to the Owlpens; passed by marriage, firstto the Daunts, next to the Stoughtons; and belongs now to T. ...


A. Stoughton, Esq. O. Park is Mr. S.'s seat. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Newington-Bagpath, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, The church was rebuilt in 1828; and is in the early English style, with a tower.

Owlpen through time

Owlpen is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Owlpen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Owlpen, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11058

Date accessed: 26th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Owlpen ".